• June 23, 2020 at 2:04 pm #15972
      Sunnyside
      Keymaster

A question from one of our customers:

I am looking at purchasing 6 x 4800mm sheets.

I am struggling to make a decision between clear or grey.

The reason is my pergola is attached to the north-east side of the house. It’s really hot in the summer. It’s cold and dark in the winter because the neighbours have a huge pohutukawa tree that blocks most to the day’s sunlight. We live in a tiny block of units and we are looking at using the covered area year round. I worry that the clear will be too hot in the summer and grey will block too much sun light coming into the house in the winter. I will eventually install bistro blinds to close off the sides of the covered area.

Can you please give me advise from your experience with covered outdoor areas?

Our answer:

Thanks for your email. It’s always difficult to tell how much to compromise between shade, and loss of light!

Here are some things to consider.

Using clear:
      You will get maximum light through, but also maximum heat.
      The pohutukawa will drop a lot of debris onto the roof and this will show up straight away on the clear.

Using grey:
      This will reduce the heat making it more comfortable.
      It will also hide the dirt and leaves from nearby trees a lot better.
      If it’s over windows or ranch sliders it can make the interior of the house darker.

The bronze is a compromise between the two, if the bronze would suit your colour scheme. One thing I always say is that tou can always make a clear sheet darker temporarily, using a shade sail or wave shade (like a horizontal blind), or sun umbrella underneath it. You can’t make a dark sheet lighter.

Feel free to send a photo through and I can take a look at the situation.

Reply To: How to choose between grey and clear
Your information: